It is devastating to untimely lose a loved one. However, when the loss is the result of the negligence or recklessness of another individual, it is even harder for you to accept the loss and carry on. The impact of losing a loved one goes beyond the emotional injuries, family members must also deal with the loss of income, loss of help and the costs related to the burial and death of their loved one.
While nothing can bring back a loved one, filing a personal injury claim can help bring closure and financial relief for the grieving family. At the Nourmand Law Firm, our wrongful death lawyers can help you navigate the legal system and obtain the best results during a difficult period. We are aggressive with the insurance companies, yet compassionate with our clients who need both our legal guidance as well as our help and support.What Is Wrongful Death?
A wrongful death is any type of death that is caused by another party’s negligent or reckless actions. The decedent heirs of a victim who was killed by the wrongful conduct of another party, may file a wrongful death claim to obtain compensation against the liable party.
A wrongful death claim consists of four elements:
- The death was caused by the actions of the defendant.
- The defendant was negligent or strictly liable for the death.
- The action is brought by a surviving spouse, child or dependents.
- The wrongful death has resulted in monetary damages.
No matter how much money you obtain in a wrongful death claim, it can never replace the void left by losing a lost one. However, filing a wrongful death claim can help you get the closure you need to move on. It can also help you become financially stable so you can better deal with the untimely loss.
Wrongful death claimants are entitled to various types of monetary compensation, including:
- Funeral and burial expenses
- Deceased’s lost wages
- Loss of financial support
- Emotional trauma, pain and suffering
Wrongful death damages can be awarded to the relative of the deceased, including:
- Spouses. Spouses generally have a claim for loss of companionship resulting from the deceased’s death, as well as for any emotional trauma caused by the untimely death.
- Children. Minor may also be awarded money damages for the loss of benefits, companionship and support provided by the deceased parent.
- Parents. Parents of minor children who have died as a result of another party’s negligence may also be entitled to compensation.
If your loved one died in any type of accident that might have been caused by the negligent actions of another party, you may be entitled to compensation. You need a wrongful lawyer in Los Angeles to fight for your rights. The legal team at the Nourmand Law Firm will work hard to maximize your damages.
For more information or to schedule a complimentary consultation with one of our attorneys, please call us at (310) 553-3600 or contact us online. If we don’t win, you don’t win.